BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Why Labor matters

I'd like to post a detailed analysis of why labor matters, but I can't. I can't because I'm posting this from the panera next to where I work during my lunch hour. So I'll make this brief:

Labor matters because we work.
It's not just that we work, but most of us will work for a corporation or large organization. We won't work for ourselves, we may not work for that independent small business, but we will all work. And working could be far worse.
I work at least eight hours a day, five days a week. I spend all of that time on my feet, except my government mandated lunch break.  Before Labor, there were not mandatory breaks. There was no OSHA, no work place safety, no standard work-day, no worker protections. But because of Labor, there are.
Now, the issues have changed. Fair wages and wage growth compared to the astronomical salaries of CEOs. Healthcare and affordable coverage. Protecting American jobs and fighting for Fair Trade.  These are the issues of Labor today, things that affecting everyone of us. And that's why Labor matters. 
I'd love to post more, but my break is up. It may have seemed short, but I know who to thank for it.

0 comments: